This is a much better post. It caused me to really think about something old that I actually liked. Alot of times, I get bored with old things but not this one. This is a civil war chest that was passed down from lots of (I don't remember how many) generations but the one I remember most is my great grandmother. I'm not sure where the name originated but I've always known it as my "hope chest". It was really in bad shape when my great grandmother had it so my great grandfather refurbished the inside lining and made it much more usable again (it does still smell kind of old but that's can't be changed). He refurbished and made all sorts of furniture, very interesting and creative man. The story of the hope chest is that is to be passed down to the oldest daughter and while she's growing up it gets filled with items from her childhood or items to prepare her for adulthood. For a while, mine had all my mom's wedding things in it (as it does mine right now as you can see from the picture) and then she started to fill it with things that she might have an extra of that I could use in college (towels in the top part of the pic) or for my first house with my husband. It's always a joke for the grandmothers to tease their granddaughters and say it's a hopeless chest. The chest is really heavy and kind of a pain to keep moving around but I love the idea behind it and how old it is. We have it in our bedroom as a TV stand but one day maybe Anna Katherine will love to fill it with things for her :) If not, that's ok. Mom never pushed it on me and I won't do that to her but I'll be sure to pass along the story and it can be her choice :)
Here it is as our TV stand
I love it! I don't have an official hope chest, but I do have 2 old trunks that were my grandfather's that I think I'll start re-envisioning for Svea and Corinne. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete